McAleer Quickest Again In Practice 2 At Coronado Speed Festival
SCCA Pro Racing Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup points leader Stevan McAleer wasn't sure he wanted a second practice session on Saturday morning, which was added to the Coronado Speed Festival schedule on Friday afternoon.
But the Scottish racer who now hails from Putnam Valley, N.Y. managed to wring some more speed out of the No. 28 CJ Wilson Children's Charities/Blue Mercury Capital/RUFocused.com Mazda MX-5 and again topped the time charts. McAleer lapped the 1.7-mile temporary circuit at the Coronado Naval Air Station at 1:13.558 (83.199 mph) within the last 10 minutes of the session to take the top spot away from John Dean.
"The track was probably very similar to yesterday," McAleer said. "We went out on the same setup we had yesterday and the car felt really good. We obviously heard John [Dean] and Christian [Szymczak] were right there in the mix. We kind of had an idea on a setup change we wanted to try and we tried it and the first lap out was fast lap, just a little bit quicker than John's.
"The last one, I really hooked it up. I got a nice run and I was pretty smooth everywhere and they said it was a 13.5, so obviously we're looking strong. We didn't really want the extra practice session. We felt we were in the right position yesterday, but obviously we're looking good for qualifying and [CJ Wilson Racing teammate] Elliott [Skeer] was running very similar lap times, so we should be good."
Dean, of Sebring, Fla., wound up second after leading the early stages of the session in the No. 16 Projections Research MX-5. Dean posted a best time of 1:13.952 (82.756 mph) to finish the session one position ahead of his Sick Sideways teammate, Christian Szymczak, of Palos Verdes, Calif. Szymczak turned a best lap at 1:14.114 (82.575 mph) in the No. 34 Projections Research/Eprodius entry.
Nathaniel Sparks, of Spanish Fort, Ala., was fourth in Saturday morning practice with a best lap at 1:14.231 (82.445 mph) in the No. 3 OOTSK Performance/BimmerWorld Mazda MX-5. Skeer, of Vista, Calif., completed the top five at 1:14.314 (82.353 mph) in the No. 17 MAZDASPEED/Sparco/Milgard Windows & Doors MX-5.
Kenton Koch, of Glendora, Calif., earned the quickest lap among the Skip Barber MAZDASPEED Pro Series drivers. Koch's best lap in the No. 91 KKoch Enterprises was a 1:14.903 (81.705 mph).
Next up for the MX-5 Cup machines is qualifying. The 30-minute session takes the green flag at 12:55 p.m. PT. To follow each session's notes and timing, please visit www.mx-5cup.com.
Follow the SCCA Pro Racing Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup on Twitter @ MazdaMX5Cup.
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Results from practice session #2 for Sunday's SCCA Pro Racing Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Round 9 race, part of the Coronado Speed Festival at Coronado Naval Air Station, with position, class, car number in parentheses, driver, hometown, car, fastest lap time, and speed in miles per hour.
1. MX, (28) Stevan McAleer(R), Putnam Valley, N.Y., MX-5, 1:13.558, 83.199.
2. MX, (16) John Dean II(R), Sebring, Fla., MX-5, 1:13.952, 82.756.
3. MX, (34) Christian Szymczak(R), Palos Verdes, Calif., MX-5, 1:14.114, 82.575.
4. MX, (3) Nathaniel Sparks, Spanish Fort, Ala., MX-5, 1:14.231, 82.445.
5. MX, (17) Elliott Skeer(R), Vista, Calif., MX-5, 1:14.314, 82.353.
6. MX, (11) Ara Malkhassian, Houston, Texas, MX-5, 1:15.212, 81.370.
7. MX, (29) Connor De Phillippi(R), San Clemente, Calif., MX-5, 1:15.395, 81.172.
8. MX, (26) Tim Probert, Houston, Texas, MX-5, 1:16.161, 80.356.
9. MX, (10) Brent Mosing(R), Lafayette, La., MX-5, 1:16.907, 79.576.
10. MX, (44) Steve Bottom, Newport Beach, Calif., MX-5, 1:17.842, 78.620.
11. MX, (27) Charles Paquin, Ottawa, Ontario, MX-5, 1:18.135, 78.326.
12. MX, (19) Emilee Tominovich(R), Clarksville, Md., MX-5, 1:19.518, 76.963.
13. MX, (39) Kristine Craine, Portland, Ore., MX-5, 1:20.336, 76.180.
14. SBMX, (91) Kenton Koch, Glendora, Calif., Barber MX-5, 1:14.903, 81.705.
15. SBMX, (63) Bryan Hixon, San Antonio, Texas, Barber MX-5, 1:15.843, 80.693.
16. SBMX, (97) David Knight, Ludlow, Vt., Barber MX-5, 1:15.947, 80.582.
17. SBMX, (67) Fred Chin, Henderson, Nev., MX-5, 1:16.909, 79.574.
18. SBMX, (62) Cal Meeker, Oceanside, Calif., Barber MX-5, 1:17.148, 79.328.