2014 Indianapolis Indy 500: IndyCar Saturday Day Qualifying Preview
Qualifying begins today at Indianapolis Motor Speedway!
Credit: PaddockTalk / Paul Hurley
By Mike Sulka
Annual qualifying for the Indianapolis 500 IndyCar event at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis, Indiana is one of the longest, and yet rewarding events in motor racing. The Pole winner will have a full week of glory ahead of the 2014 Indianapolis 500 on Memorial Day weekend.
Last year's Pole winner was Ed Carpenter with a 228.762 (4-lap average). That's right, a four-lap average. Unlike any other qualifying in the world, the 10-mile run must be consistent.
Just as last year, the IndyCars will have extra boost which yields extra horsepower.
As the IndyCar series continues to search for a winning pattern, they have once again changed qualifying. Today, is basically the new bump day as all cars will get at least one qualifying attempt between 11 AM and 5:50 PM. At the end of qualifying, the top 33-cars will be set with the Row 11 qualifiers re-qualifying on Sunday to determine the final order.
Today will also determine the nine cars that will have a shot at the Pole position.
Beyond that, the actual starting order won't be complete until Sunday, nor will we know the Pole sitter until Sunday.
So enjoy! We realize the new format is confusing. But here we go, qualifying for the 2014 Indianapolis Indy 500 IndyCar race is about to begin!
Qualifying Points, Saturday:
1st - 33 points
2nd - 32 points
3rd - 31 points
4th - 30 points
5th - 29 points
6th - 28 points
7th - 27 points
8th - 26 points
9th - 25 points
10th - 24 points
11th - 23 points
12th - 22 points
13th - 21 points
14th - 20 points
15th - 19 points
16th - 18 points
17th - 17 points
18th - 16 points
19th - 15 points
20th - 14 points
21st - 13 points
22nd - 12 points
23rd - 11 points
24th - 10 points
25th - 9 points
26th - 8 points
27th - 7 points
28th - 6 points
29th - 5 points
30th - 4 points
31st - 3 points
32nd - 2 points
33rd - 1 point
Also in IndyCar News:
- 2014 Indianapolis (Indy 500 Saturday Qualfying): IndyCar Race LIVE Streaming, Weather & TV Schedule (05/17/14)
- 2014 Indianapolis 500: IndyCar Fast Friday Practice Results - Carpenter, Chevrolet Break 230 MPH! (05/16/14)
- 2014 Indianapolis 500 Q&A: IndyCar - Ganassi (05/16/14)
- 2014 Indianapolis 500 Q&A: IndyCar - Team Penske (05/16/14)
- Ganassi, McDElreath, Mehl, Rahal, Simpson To Be Inducted Into Auto Racing Hall Of Fame (05/16/14)
- Carpenter Posts 226.257 Mph Thursday In Indy 500 Practice For 2nd Overall (05/16/14)
- Davison's Indianapolis 500 Entry Features Fetching Livery (05/16/14)
- James Davison Passes Rookie Orientation, Cleared To Practice (05/16/14)
- 2014 Indianapolis 500: Today At The Track: Friday, May 16 (05/16/14)
- James Hinchcliffe Cleared To Resume Indy 500 Practice (05/16/14)
- Rumchata And Andretti Autosport To Raise Additional Funds For Lone Survivor (05/16/14)
- Royal Purple Returns To The Indy 500 With A Sponsored Car (05/16/14)
- 2014 Indianapolis 500: IndyCar Thursday Practice Results - Castroneves, Chevrolet Break 227 MPH! (05/15/14)
- Rain Early On Wednesday At IMS But Teams Get On Track Late; Hildebrand, Carpenter Improve Their Speeds (05/15/14)
- 2014 Indianapolis 500: Today At The Track: Thursday, May 15 (05/15/14)
- Great Variety Of Live Music During Month Of May At IMS (05/15/14)
- Magneti Marelli Celebrates Simon Pagenaud's Victory In The Inaugural Grand Prix Of Indianapolis In The Verizon IndyCar Series (05/15/14)
- Kurt Busch Indy 500 Practice Update (05/15/14)
- Indianapolis Motor Speedway And Outrun The Sun Keep Race Fans Sun Safe (05/15/14)
- IndyCar Grand Prix Of Indianapolis Post-Event Infractions (05/15/14)