2014 NHRA: NAPA's Capps Enjoying Family Time Before Racing Begins Near Sonoma
Ron Capps is 49 but doesn't look his age and he certainly doesn't feel it.
The driver of Don Schumacher Racing's NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car only feel his age when he looks at his daughter, Taylor, and son, Caden.
"My daughter will be 18 on Friday. Part of being in our sport is things happen fast and she's growing up too quick for me," Ron said. "I'm able to spend time with her and that's great about Sonoma. Having my son Caden there, hanging out with the crew guys and my whole family.
"This is the closest race to where I grew up in San Luis Obispo, and we've been camping out just south of Sonoma. It's been real fun with the family. It's been real fun getting to spend some time with the kids."
There are at least four more reasons why he enjoys racing at Sonoma. He has won four event titles at Sonoma Raceway - including last year and three of the past five - and been runner-up twice.
Ron and his team led by crew chief Rahn Tobler and assistant Eric Lane advanced to the semifinals on Sunday near Denver and will arrive at Sonoma ranked third in points with their sights set on second-place driver John Force.
"It's a home track for me, but it is a huge event for NAPA and there is a lot of stuff going on. The best part of the whole weekend is Thursday night at the Eric Medlen dinner, that's always something special for everyone so we look forward to that."
There are only four races left before the NHRA Mello Yello Funny Car points are reset for the six-race Countdown to the Championship playoffs, and a strong finish to the Western Swing could help vault the NAPA team to second place in the standings.
Capps, Tobler and Co. hope another solid weekend of Sonoma home cooking can help vault them closer to the top.
RON CAPPS: NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger R/T
Last event Denver (July 20): Qualified No. 5; lost in semifinals to John Force
A year ago at Sonoma: Qualified No. 3; defeated John Force in championship round
Career at Sonoma: Wins 4 (2013, 2011, 2010, 1997); Runner-ups 2 (2005, 2002); Poles 1 (1998)
Pts Events Titles Rup Semi Qtr 1st rd Poles DNQ Win/Loss
2014 3rd 14 1 1 7 1 4 1 0 22-12
CAREER 425 42 42 75 84 164 16 18 528-365
Best Time, Speed: 3.964* sec., (5-31-12, Englishtown, N.J.); 320.89 mph (5-31-12, Englishtown)
NHRA MELLO YELLO STANDINGS
(Official after 14 of 24 events; DSR drivers in CAPS)
driver (wins) pts behind
1. Robert Hight (5) 1,179 ----
2. John Force (2) 998 -181
3. RON CAPPS (1) 921 -258
4. TOMMY JOHNSON JR. (1) 882 -297
5. Courtney Force (1) 817 -362
6. Alexis DeJoria (2) 811 -368
7. MATT HAGAN (1) 794 -385
8. Cruz Pedregon (1) 781 -398
9. Del Worsham 780 -399
10. Tim Wilkerson 711 -468
11. JACK BECKMAN 708 -471
Also in NHRA:
- 2014 NHRA: Spencer Massey NHRA Sonoma Nationals Event Preview (07/23/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Matt Hagan NHRA Sonoma Nationals Event Preview (07/23/14)
- From A Mile High To Sea Level, Reigning Champ Coughlin Readies For Sonoma (07/23/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Meghan, Kelly Coughlin Lead Family's Race Weekend At National Trail (07/22/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Funny Car Driver Robert Hight Has Big Western Swing Goals Heading To NHRA Sonoma Nationals (07/22/14)
- 2014 NHRA: 60th Annual Chevrolet Performance US Nationals Most Iconic Moments: Muldowney Triumphant In 1982 Top Fuel Final (07/22/14)
- 2014 NHRA: The Al-Anabi Racing Team - Sonoma, Calif., NHRA Preview (07/22/14)
- 2014 NHRA: After Tough Denver Outing, Nobile Already Thinking Ahead (07/22/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Top Fuel Standout Shawn Langdon Back On Championship Chase (07/22/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Brenda Grubbs Leads Goodyearâ€™s 5 Winners At Bandimere (07/22/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Robert Hight's Win Caps Dominant Weekend For JFR (07/22/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Capps And Napa Dodge Charger R/T Advance To Semis In Funny Car, Brown With Second Round Finish At Mopar Mile-High Nationals (07/21/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Johnson Wins Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals (07/21/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Todd, Hight, A Johnson, And Hines Earn Victories At The Mopar Mile-High Nationals At Bandimere Speedway (07/21/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Lucas Oil's Arana Sr. Stays Hot, Reaches Denver Seminals (07/21/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Coughlin Pleased With JEGS.com/Mopar Team After Denver Final (07/21/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Jack Beckman Mopar Mile-High Nationals Event Recap: Second Round (07/21/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Arana Jr. Knocked Out Of Denver Race By His Father (07/21/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Crampton, GEICO/Lucas Oil Team Step Up Performance In Denver (07/21/14)
- 2014 NHRA: Ron Capps Mopar Mile-High Nationals Event Recap: Semifinals (07/21/14)